HOLLY HUNTER AND THE 5-MINUTE CRY

by Kate on October 30, 2010

18hollyhunter190It made me sad that my girls could barely contain their disinterest in the movie Broadcast News.
But they still love Gene Kelly and Singin’ In The Rain, so I’ll forgive them. I loved Broadcast News when it first came out and I love it now. I love Albert Brooks reading and singing and then singing in French. I love Holly Hunter’s character in so many different ways—the way she gives directions to the taxi driver, the line about repelling the people she’s trying to attract, the response to her boss when he says “it must be tough to always be the smartest person in the room,” —the list goes on and on. But mostly I love her daily stint of pulling the phone off the hook, sitting on the bed and crying. I have my own version of this ritual and it almost always happens in the car when I am alone. I may be crying because the world is so fucked up. Or because I don’t know how to be a better mother to my daughters. Or because I miss my own mother so very much. Or because I read something in the paper or heard something on NPR that broke my heart in a thousand ways. I cry because I need to release the sadness so I can move on with my day.

I also cry with joy—at my children, at my friends, at my family, at a sweet phone message from my boyfriend/fiancée Scott. I cry because my friend Paula Kaplan and my friend Jenny Burton both cried when they heard I got engaged. And I cry because my friend Jennifer hasn’t STOPPED crying since she heard I got engaged. I cry, too because I’m so damn lucky to be healthy, to have healthy children (please knock on whatever hard surface is near) and a secure roof over our heads and healthy food on the table. I cry because Maya Kaimal makes four different curries in a jar that I can whip up with veggies and sometimes chicken and my children think I’m a cook. I cry because my four, sweet amazing and beautiful nieces call me Tante and because all five of my nephews are such wonderful guys. There was a time in my life when I cried a lot more than five minutes a day, and a sweet soul told me: “No one cry more tears than they have to.” So I guess I have to. My tears keep me company through the crazy, wacky, messy journey that is life. I don’t know what I would do without them. I was having a missing-my-mom moment on our recent engagement trip and Scott said to me: “You love a good cry.” And he’s right. I do. I also NEED one. Daily. Just like Holly Hunter.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Priscilla Slocum Lacy November 3, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I can relate.
Always liked Holly Hunter. Will have re-watch that flick. I was interested in everything broadcast back in my late teens/20’s so proud to say I “was in that world of Broadcast News” if even for a bit —maybe again someday who knows…

wendy November 6, 2010 at 7:32 am

Hi Kate,
Your posts always bring tears to my eyes because somehow you bring to light thoughts & feelings I too have.
I cry often, but not for long either. Lately I find myself searching for songs with lyrics that choke me up and take my breath away with their beauty, their joyfulness. I run and I cry, most recently at a song where the lead singer shouts to his audience (in Boulder ironically) “who is happy to be alive?” The crowd goes crazy and I cry at the simplicity and full heartedness of that expression.
Thanks for your gift this morning Kate.
xo

Renee Branson Yung January 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I remember a conversation we had more than a year ago when I talked about crying into the scrambled eggs I was making every morning. What I remember most was that not only did you not think I was crazy, but you seemed to know exactly why that was normal for the moment.
In the midst of divorce and helping three boys learn to be ok with their new lives, I can’t say that the tears have subsided. But I’ve learned to stopped fighting them.

Jill Moran March 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I know this post was from a way back but I was just thinking about this scene in Broadcast News and wondering if anyone else felt a kinship to Hunter’s character’s cries. I do the same thing. It’s often a build up of energy, like with you alone in your car, it can be me doing the dishes, or in the bathroom, or listening to the news. I watched the movie again recently and it’s one of those things that is stronger and more significant in memory than in re-play. Guess that comes with getting older. Thanks for the post.

Kathy G September 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I have always loved Holly – in that crazy movie when she said – Hy, I’m barron – and she cried – it was hysterical! She is one of my all time favorite actresses!

Joel Lesser August 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm

always loved this scene and didnt think others realized what it truely meant. Your blog post brought me 25 years back. I have my own daily ritual too. thank you for posting this.