MEYERS RULES

by Kate on September 1, 2009

The first summer my daughter Annie went to sleep away camp I put together a list of “RULES” that I thought might come in handy in a bad moment or on a bad day. Originally there were six, but over time we have added and we reprint every summer for her to hang by her bunk at camp. The celebrity stuff comes from interviews I’ve done for work. Except Paul Newman, who I never had the honor to meet but Cool Hand Luke is a long time Uncle Muzz favorite. Rest assured, this will never ever be reproduced in needle point.

MEYERS LIFE RULES

1. DON’T LET THE “JAG-OFFS”* RUIN YOUR DAY — Uncle Muzz
  2. YOU’RE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN HAPPINESS — Jennifer Garner’s mom
  3. YOU ONLY HAVE ONE CHANCE TO LIVE THIS LIFE SO WHY NOT HAVE THE BEST TIME DOING IT? — Kate Hudson
  4. DON’T GET MAD, GET BETTER — Mom (after bad soccer behavior by the opposition)
  5. ALWAYS WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES. NEVER WEAR HORIZONTAL STRIPES — Grandma Nina
  6. KILL THE PART OF YOURSELF THAT SAY’S YOU CAN’T. THAT SAYS IT’S NOT POSSIBLE. — Erika Banuelos, one of my yoga teachers & friend
  7. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP — Winston Churchill
  8. SOMETIMES NOTHING IS A PRETTY COOL HAND — Paul Newman, Cool Hand Luke
  9. ALWAYS SCREAM ON ROLLERCOASTERS — Annie Strongwater
  10. WHEN YOU HAVE TO PEE, PEE. — Emmy Strongwater
  11. COME WHAT MAY AND LOVE IT — M.C. Vincent
  12. BEAUTY TO ME IS BEING COMFORTABLE IN YOUR OWN SKIN, THAT, OR A KICKASS RED LIPSTICK. — Gwynneth Paltrow.

*Jag off: A Pittsburgh word with many meanings, in this case, a bad egg.

P.S. Please send me your own favorite life rules!!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Jennifer Scheifele September 2, 2009 at 9:43 am

Here’s a rule from me:

If you are not gushing blood … DO NOT disturb me when I am on the phone!!!

Carol Ciaglo September 2, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Katie requests that you share the horizontal stripes rule with the Trebol Soccer Club.

Your Biggest Fan September 2, 2009 at 9:33 pm

A vartiation on #1 which I grew up with goes by the acronym “DLTBGYD” (”Don’t Let The Bastards Get You Down”), or “Basterds” in Tarantino-speak

f.u. September 3, 2009 at 9:26 am

Love the blog. Esp beach haven….M & M here last week lobbying for BH. Only if Mahoney is there, and we don’t do what we did senior week….

Carey: v cool.

May need to go to see Jeff & Dag.

LOVE rule #1…takes me back.

Only rule I can remember is more about me. Can’t always be young, but you can always be immature!

ask muzz what f.u. is

Larry Meyers September 3, 2009 at 1:49 pm

When your kids play together, tell them if one of them crys, you will spank them both.

Jennifer Garam September 9, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Kate! Your rules rule, I love them! And congratulations on your blog!

Priscilla Slocum Lacy September 9, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Love what you do & love why you do it.– GAP ad
Life is a verb not a noun –Charlotte Gilman * not sure who she is , just saw it somewhere and kep it.

Susan September 10, 2009 at 6:40 am

Uncle Muzz’s rule wins hands DAWN. Love your site!!!!!!!! xxoo

Debra Meyers September 11, 2009 at 10:59 am

Fellow Trinity alum, directed to your blog by our dear mutual friend, Margaret Maggard.

As an adjunct to rule 2, our “Meyers Rule” has always been, “Be the light.” You are responsible for your own happiness; sharing it with others makes the world a better place. Every morning during the elementary and middle school years I dropped my kids off with the charge to “Be the light”: share your joy with the world!