The first summer my daughter Annie went to sleep away camp I put together a list of “RULES” that I thought might come in handy in a bad moment or on a bad day. Originally there were six, but over time we have added and we reprint every summer for her to hang by her bunk at camp. The celebrity stuff comes from interviews I’ve done for work. Except Paul Newman, who I never had the honor to meet but Cool Hand Luke is a long time Uncle Muzz favorite. Rest assured, this will never ever be reproduced in needle point.
MEYERS LIFE RULES
- DON’T LET THE “JAG-OFFS”* RUIN YOUR DAY — Uncle Muzz
- YOU’RE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN HAPPINESS — Jennifer Garner’s mom
- YOU ONLY HAVE ONE CHANCE TO LIVE THIS LIFE SO WHY NOT HAVE THE BEST TIME DOING IT? — Kate Hudson
- DON’T GET MAD, GET BETTER — Mom (after bad soccer behavior by the opposition)
- ALWAYS WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES. NEVER WEAR HORIZONTAL STRIPES — Grandma Nina
- KILL THE PART OF YOURSELF THAT SAY’S YOU CAN’T. THAT SAYS IT’S NOT POSSIBLE. — Erika Banuelos, one of my yoga teachers & friend
- NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP — Winston Churchill
- SOMETIMES NOTHING IS A PRETTY COOL HAND — Paul Newman, Cool Hand Luke
- ALWAYS SCREAM ON ROLLERCOASTERS — Annie Strongwater
- WHEN YOU HAVE TO PEE, PEE. — Emmy Strongwater
- COME WHAT MAY AND LOVE IT — M.C. Vincent
- BEAUTY TO ME IS BEING COMFORTABLE IN YOUR OWN SKIN, THAT, OR A KICKASS RED LIPSTICK. — Gwynneth Paltrow.
*Jag off: A Pittsburgh word with many meanings, in this case, a bad egg.
P.S. Please send me your own favorite life rules!!